[postgis-users] PostgreSQL HStore and PostGIS

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Oct 25 18:37:31 PDT 2012

Blair,

* Blair Deaver (blairdeaver at gmail.com) wrote:
> With that said, I have been looking into the new capabilities available
> with PostgreSQL HStore

Uhm..  hstore isn't exactly new.  It's been around since something like
8.0..  It is amusing how people are just now coming to see. :)

>    - Can anyone comment on successful or unsuccessful attempts to implement
>    such a technology approach integrating PostGIS with HStore?

I've not heard of anyone putting geometries into hstore's.  It'd be
possible, but realize that to put something into an hstore, it has to be
text.  Also, I don't think you'd be able to create a geometry index over
geometries which are inside of an hstore..  Or at least, if you did, it
might be difficult to actually use.

>    - How would one extract data out in such a manner (I suspect a custom
>    program would need to be run)?

Not sure what you mean by this, but you'd need to query the hstore using
the key that you want and then pull the geometry out as text and cast it
to an actual geometry column to use it.  If you just want the data out
in a text format, you'd run asewkt() on the geometry after you pull it
out of the hstore.

	Thanks,

		Stephen