[postgis-users] field type "public.geometry"

Phil Hurvitz phurvitz at uw.edu
Thu Sep 20 14:54:24 PDT 2012

Hi, one of our users has some tables that show geometry fields as type
"public.geometry," e.g.,

                   Column                  |       Type       | Modifiers
------------------------------------------+------------------+-----------
  ogc_fid                                  | integer          | not null
  the_geom                                 | public.geometry  |

whereas they used to have more "normal" types, e.g.,

                  Column            |          Type           | Modifiers
-----------------------------------+-------------------------+-----------
  ogc_fid                           | integer                 |
  the_geom                          | geometry(Geometry,2926) |

I don't know what might have caused this; the data in the field do not
seem to have changed, but the field as it is has limited functionality.
Can someone suggest a fix? Thanks,

-P.

Philip M. Hurvitz, PhD | Research Assistant Professor | UW-CBE
Urban Form Lab  | 1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 535  | Box 354802
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington  98195-4802, USA
phurvitz at u.washington.edu | http://gis.washington.edu/phurvitz
"What is essential is invisible to the eye." -de Saint-Exupéry