[postgis-users] break road linestrings intelligently

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Sep 26 01:38:50 PDT 2012

Hi Rich,

Topology is certainly the way to go: split all crossing linestrings and
create a new layer with the new, topologically correct lines. Start- and
endpoints of the new lines can be easily found by interpolating from the
original lines.

I found the following links useful to start with PostGIS topology. The
documentation looks daunting, but it's really quite simple. They all
convert linstrings to topological polygons, but it would not be too
difficult to do the same for crossing linestrings to topological
linestrings.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiTopologyExample (Brent Wood)
http://strk.keybit.net/blog/2012/04/13/simplifying-a-map-layer-using-postgis-topology/
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiSimplifyPreserveTopology