[postgis-users] LiDAR data mangement system with PostGIS

Kjartan Bjørset kjartab at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 4 04:52:15 PDT 2013

Hi!

I am doing a university project on loading, storing and managing LiDAR
data sets in a geospatial database (not too advanced operations on the
point clouds themselves). So far I've used a straight forward
point-per-row implementation which of course isn't the ideal solution
and introduces a lot of overhead.

I see that you have started on something similar to Oracle PointCloud
with the PostgreSQL Pointcloud extension, and I was wondering if this is
currently working. I have looked at what's available in pramsey repo
"pointcloud" and tried to install it on Ubuntu 12.10. I get error
messages when running make though, various undefined variables;
"maxfloat" and "ceilf" to name a couple.

To sum it up, two questions:

1. Is this Pointcloud extension at a functional level at the moment?
Functional meaning that you can insert points and make simple, spatial
queries (e.g. select points within bbox). If not, when will it be?

2. Do you have any other recommendations regarding lidar and db. Are
there other options than Oracle?

Best regards,
Kjartan Bjørset