[postgis-users] unique id in QGIS/PostGIS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Apr 6 14:38:47 PDT 2013

Margie,

QGIS needs to "know" that the id is guaranteed unique.

If you (but don't try it :-) ran the SQL:
UPDATE smaller_leg_final SET id = 0;

then all your id values would be set to 0, so it is not a safe assumption that the values in the id column will always be unique.

This can be fixed either by creating a unique index on the column, or by setting it as the table's primary key. In either case, the database will not allw duplicate values, so QGIS can safely use the column as the unique id.

Your SQL to create the column as a primary key would be:
ALTER TABLE smaller_leg_final ADD COLUMN id serial primary key;

The SQL to set it as a primary key, now that you have already created it is:
ALTER TABLE smaller_leg_final

  ADD CONSTRAINT smaller_leg_final_pk PRIMARY KEY(id);

The SQL to add the unique index is:
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX smaller_leg_final_pk ON  smaller_leg_final(id);

Otherwise I think you are on the right track.

Cheers

Brent Wood