[postgis-users] Problems installing on Linux

James David Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 03:49:56 PDT 2013

On 6 August 2013 11:14, Mike Toews <mwtoews at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 August 2013 22:02, James David Smith <james.david.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks both. The first error is:
>>
>> psql:/usr/pgsql-9.0/share/contrib/postgis-2.0/postgis.sql:49: ERROR:
>> could not load library "/usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/postgis-2.0.so":
>> /usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/postgis-2.0.so: undefined symbol:
>> GEOSRelatePatternMatch
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> James
>
> You will need a newer GEOS library. Check your current version with:
>
> $ geos-config --version
>
> See the handy PostGIS Support Matrix to help you out:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS
>
> -Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that I had the latest version of GEOS,
so I just did 'locate geos' and it found quite a few files. They seem
to be grouped into the below folders:

/depot/shared/geos-3.0.3/
/depot/shared/geos-3.3.5/
/opt/geos-3.3.8/include/geos/
/depot/shared/pgrouting/geos-3.0.0/
/depot/shared/pgrouting/geos-3.3.5/
/opt/Geos/

I guess that this is causing the problem.

Though when I do the "./configure" command for PostGIS I have been
pointing the it towards:

/opt/geos-3.3.8/bin/geos-config

Which should make it use the latest version of GEOS no?

Sorry for not being very technical, I'm slowly getting the hang of linux...

Thanks

James