[postgis-users] Problems installing on Linux

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 04:16:42 PDT 2013

On 6 August 2013 22:49, James David Smith <james.david.smith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I thought that I had the latest version of GEOS,
> so I just did 'locate geos' and it found quite a few files. They seem
> to be grouped into the below folders:
>
> /depot/shared/geos-3.0.3/
> /depot/shared/geos-3.3.5/
> /opt/geos-3.3.8/include/geos/
> /depot/shared/pgrouting/geos-3.0.0/
> /depot/shared/pgrouting/geos-3.3.5/
> /opt/Geos/
>
> I guess that this is causing the problem.
>
> Though when I do the "./configure" command for PostGIS I have been
> pointing the it towards:
>
> /opt/geos-3.3.8/bin/geos-config
>
> Which should make it use the latest version of GEOS no?
>
> Sorry for not being very technical, I'm slowly getting the hang of linux...
>
> Thanks
>
> James

Technical is always good here. Sometimes it is necessary to update the
shared library cache by running "ldconfig" after various "make
install" commands. It might need to be run as root (or with sudo, if
you have that).

Also, sometimes, it could be also necessary to either add the LIBDIR
to /etc/ld.so.conf, or add a .conf file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/, or to
fiddle around with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point
to the directory with the current versions of .so shared libraries.
After any changes with these, run "ldconfig" to update the system
cache. Yet another good tool is "ldd" to see which libraries are being
loaded. For example:

$ ldd /usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/postgis-2.0.so

should show you which other .so objects are being referenced.

-Mike