[postgis-users] biggest rectangle contained within another polygon

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Wed Dec 4 21:02:00 PST 2013

Is there an existing function to do this? No.
Is it easy to write such a function? No, not if

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.47.3370&rep=rep1&
type=pdf

is the simplest algorithm for solving this problem in general terms.

An interesting problem, though. Would be useful for labelling purposes.