[postgis-users] Updating PostGIS: Dropping EXTENSION without DROP CASCADE dependent tables?

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at unep.org
Wed Dec 11 08:12:12 PST 2013

Hi there,

as I am having problems with my PostGIS installation (resp. the pgsql2shp which results in "XInvalid endian flag value encountered"), I want to re-install PostGIS.

Now, in order to "CREATE EXTENSION postgis;" I need to DROP it first. But because I have other tables which depend on "postgis.geometry" this doesn't work. And I can't do a DROP CASCADE as then all those tables would be deleted.

Is there any clever solution around that? Or do I need to dump everything, drop and create the extensions fresh, and then import everything again?

Thanks for any hints,

Stefan