[postgis-users] postgis 2.0 and postgist 2.1 compatibility issues

Marty O'Neill II martyoneillii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 15:28:04 PST 2013

I am running postgresql 9.1 with postgis 2.0 in Windows 7. After
creating a dump from the database, I tried to restore on a machine
running Ubuntu with postgresql 9.3 and postgis 2.1. However, the
spatial extent is incorrect when viewed in QuantumGIS and in other
custom GIS software. The spatial extent in QuantumGIS and our software
seems to include a 0.0 coordinate. However, running ST_Extent on one
of the problem tables does not reveal any such issues. There are no
empty records. We have tried PostGIS_DropBBox(),
Populate_Geometry_Columns(), and reindexing the tables. We have tried
generating the dump and restoring it both from pgAdmin and using the
command line.  The projections are correctly set on all records, and
the tables have valid entries in the geometry_columns view.

Let roads be one of the problematic tables. If we execute the following query

SELECT * INTO new_roads FROM roads;

... then the problem with the spatial extent does not exist on table
new_roads. However, if we execute the query

SELECT * INTO new_roads2 FROM (SELECT * FROM roads) AS temp;

.. then the problem continues to exist on table new_roads2

We suspect that the issue may be due to compatibility issues between
PostGIS 2.0 and 2.1. Does anybody have any ideas on why this is
happening?

Thank you,

Marty