[postgis-users] add custom epsg

Greg Allensworth gregor at greeninfo.org
Thu Dec 19 09:43:01 PST 2013

1.
The GDAL/OGR tools use PROJ to do the reprojection, and PROJ knows about
projections, via its "epsg" file. On Unix systems this is something
like:  /usr/share/proj/epsg

Pop it open, and you'll see that the format is quite easy to follow.
Paste in a new pair of lines, and that SRS is now recognized by ogr2ogr.

2.
PostGIS does not use the PROJ epsg file, but instead the spatial_ref_sys
DB table. This lists projections available to PostGIS, and if you do a
SELECT there you should find the rows easy to understand: srid (103782),
authority (EPSG), the SRS in both PROJ format and WKT format, ... Simply
insert a row here and PostGIS will support that SRS.

I hope that helps!