[postgis-users] Geoportal Server vs Postgres Geoportal

Nicholas Tapia tapia.nicholas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 16:45:34 PST 2013

If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please point me in the
right direction!

I'm *very* new to databases and GIS.  I'm researching geoportals and how
they offer geometries for download.

As I understand it, Esri's "open source" Geoportal Server is the standard
method of offering data for download (besides offering shape files for
download as a file...like the census website).  It is a software layer on
top of the database that allows you to select the geometries you want by
drawing a polygon.  It also manages metadata and offers some search methods.

But it doesn't allow me to make awesome sql queries.  So I want to use
pgsql2shp to allow people to download the geometries.   Are there any
reasons why I shouldn't offer geometry downloads from a postgres database
using pgsql2shp?

Also, are there any examples of what I'm talking about now?  Are there any
postgres dbs that allow for direct download of geometries? And don't use
esri geoportal server?

Thanks!

-Nicholas