[postgis-users] Geoportal Server vs Postgres Geoportal

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Dec 23 11:52:44 PST 2013

Nicholas,

Not too familiar with Geoportal Server.

pgsql2shp is what I commonly use for light-weight data dispensing from web
apps.

In php I just call it using system(..) function

using code something like
 $shell_cmd = "pgsql2shp  otherpgsql2shp_including sql"
 system($shell_cmd);

Usually I predump the data the user is viewing working on tagged by user
session in a staging table and the query just outputs the data based on user
session.

In ASP.NET I use System.Diagnostics.Process

As far as other tools that can dispense files OGR2OGR part of GDAL package
can output more formats and I think internally is what Mapserver uses for
its WFS 1.1 custom output format option

http://mapserver.org/output/ogr_output.html#ogr-output

Geoserver can also output WFS requests in Shapefile and other formats:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wfs/outputformats.html

Though overall I prefer the simplicity of pgsql2shp especially for
outputting complex user map queries.

Hope that helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us