[postgis-users] Geoportal Server vs Postgres Geoportal

Ben Madin ben at ausvet.com.au
Mon Dec 30 22:37:45 PST 2013

G’day Nicholas,

We typically use a workflow like :

1. create a table with the desired geometry;
2. use pgsql2shp to dump it as a shapefile;
3. run shptree over it to create a .qix index (for mapserver and qgis, maybe not really necessary);
4. zip the files into an archive;
5. move them to a web accessible directory;
6. change the permissions to allow download.

I’d note that we have recently started using ogr2ogr as pgsql2shp has been stopping about 5 records short of our typical full dataset (global first level administrative districts, with half of Zimbabwe missing!) ogr2ogr is a bit more complex, but can also output other file formats, not just shape file. You can also provide a query (not just a table name) but we don’t do it that way.

cheers

Ben