[postgis-users] Geoportal Server vs Postgres Geoportal

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Dec 31 13:46:50 PST 2013

Hi Nicholas,

We use Geonetwork as an online catalogue - if the record describes a spatial dataset, we have links to (for example - depends on what is available) a geotiff, a shapefile to download, a WFS service, a WMS service, a spreadsheet, a report/paper describing the dataset, presentations, etc.

You can create the files any way you like, but Geonetwork is (IMHO) a more powerful, interoperable & standards compliant tool than ESRI's Geoportal. In the areas involving environmental information where I work, I'd suggest Geonetwork is far more the "standard" tool than Geoportal, which is only really useful for ESRI users & spatial datasets - related aspatial content is not so well supported by Geoportal - yet spatial datasets often have related documents it is useful to provide as well.

We also embed such catalogues in web portals, so that projects can be well documented with relavant reports, data, presentations, online maps etc, are all readily available.

One of our catalogues: see data & reports at (fully open source based):
http://www.os2020.org.nz/bay-of-islands-coastal-survey-project/
https://secure.niwa.co.nz/boi_dc/srv/en/main.home

For Geonetwork, see:

http://geonetwork-opensource.org/
http://geonetwork-opensource.org/gallery/gallery.html

Alternatively, some OGC server products support other formats as well as the OGC ones - including shapefiles...

UMN mapserver uses OGR to generate content - so formats supported by OGR are supported, including shapefiles built on the fly & zipped up...

http://mapserver.org/output/ogr_output.html#ogr-output
in the mapfile you define a shapefile as a supported format:
OUTPUTFORMAT

  NAME "SHAPEZIP"
  DRIVER "OGR/ESRI Shapefile"

  FORMATOPTION "STORAGE=memory"

  FORMATOPTION "FORM=zip"

  FORMATOPTION "FILENAME=result.zip"
 END

Geoserver also allows layers to be downloaded as zipped up shapefiles rather than OGC Web Services:
https://wiki.state.ma.us/confluence/display/massgis/GeoServer+-+WFS+-+Extract+-+Shapefile+Format
you specify the format as a parameter in the URL:...&outputformat=SHAPE-ZIP

Hope this helps, no shortage of Open Source options to deliver data as shapefiles :-)

(I'm off to sea for a month in a couple of hours - so will not be able to respond to further emails until Feb...)

Cheers,

   Brent Wood