[postgis-users] Voronoi's: faster solution?

Pekka Sarkola pekka.sarkola at gispo.fi
Tue Feb 26 04:26:19 PST 2013

Hi Folks,

I need to make some data creation and I need to create Voronoi's from
thousands of points. I have now installed and tested PL/R-DelDir solution.
It is very slow, IMHO. Any faster solutions on your mind? Continue reading
if you're interested:

I have dataset of 31k points. With QuantumGIS (Ftools), I can create Voronoi
polygons in 2-3 minutes, with Spatialite (version 4.0), it took 1:22. With
PostGIS/PLR/DelDIr, I pretty much stop the process after 15 minutes. Am I
doing something wrong or is it so that PLR/DelDir is so much slower?

Spatialite is using now newest version of GEOS and they have implemented
ST_VoronojDiagram -method:
https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=tesselations-4.0. Are
there any plans to implement similar functions to PostGIS 2.1+?

Rgs,

Pekka

--

Pekka Sarkola