[postgis-users] Postgis raster : storage performance ?

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer th.heuer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 03:05:02 PST 2013

You don't use PostGIS for gaining compression. In fact, PostGIS rasters
probably use more space, but you gain faster access to the files, because
there are spacial indexes and you can do queries a lot easier with
aggregations, overlaying geometries etc, which you cannot do like that or
much harder with GDAL. If you want your rasters to be small you can do
compression, but at the end of the day you want to be able to find out
information from the raster, right?

Cheers,
Tim

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer