[postgis-users] VMWare and PostGIS

Jim Mlodgenski jimmy76 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 07:52:33 PST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> **
> On a related topic, has anyone tried the VMware Postgres product.  I'd be
> curious to know how they optimized the performance for that and if it
> supports PostGIS.  I assume it does, but perhaps David Fetter if he's
> listening can fill us in on that.

I've used it a fair amount. Most of the performance optimizations are
around tuning, but they do have a cool feature where you can increase
shared buffers without restarting. The source is open so you can diff it
against 9.1.6 and see what they did.
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VFPG_9160_OSS_OSE&productId=274

The base database would support PostGIS, but I don't recall if its possible
through their Data Director interface. Data Director basically abstracts
away creating and running the database a little and in trade, you don't
have superuser rights. VMware would need to enable it through Data Director
somehow because a regular user couldn't enable it.