[postgis-users] Integer geometry type

Bruce Rindahl bruce.rindahl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:49:47 PST 2013

I am currently building a large PostGIS database of lidar data and going
through several performance tweaks to make 1.5 billion records respond
better.  One of the big ones was to convert the z data by multiplying by
100 and storing it as an integer instead of a double (I know - pretty
obvious).  The resulting reduction in storage space is significant as is
query performance.  The x and y values are stored as a point value in a
geometry type which i believe is stored like two double precision values.
Would it be possible to specify a special geometry type using integer
values instead of doubles?  You could either add a factor (and a special
SRID) or just round the values (possible in my case - are the lidar points
really accurate to less than a foot?).  D3.js is doing something very
similar to this in its topoJSON format.
How much brain damage would this cause?  Just thinking out loud...
Bruce