[postgis-users] Request to develop st_pointonsurface variant to output a random point (not an arbitrary one)

Luis Carrasco leca00 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:53:13 PST 2013

Hello,

This is more of a wishlist item. I've tried using st_pointonsurface as part
of a point geomasking routine but all the points I get follow the same
pattern of angle and direction. Could a new function be integrated into
postgis where the output point has a random location within a surface? I'm
solving my problem by using a different approach for my purposes which ends
being a little more complicated (therefore, this request), but I think
returning a true random point could help other colleagues as well when
working with a large dataset.

Thanks,

Luis

--