[postgis-users] Request to develop st_pointonsurface variant to output a random point (not an arbitrary one)

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Tue Jan 29 11:01:31 PST 2013

You might look to this post:

http://sorokine.blogspot.com/2011/05/postgis-function-for-random-point.html

Best,
Steve

[http://sig.cmparks.net/cmp-ms-90x122.png] Stephen V. Mather
GIS Manager
(216) 635-3243 (Work)
clevelandmetroparks.com<http://www.clemetparks.com>

________________________________
From: postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] on behalf of Luis Carrasco [leca00 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:53 PM
To: postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [postgis-users] Request to develop st_pointonsurface variant to output a random point (not an arbitrary one)

Hello,

This is more of a wishlist item. I've tried using st_pointonsurface as part of a point geomasking routine but all the points I get follow the same pattern of angle and direction. Could a new function be integrated into postgis where the output point has a random location within a surface? I'm solving my problem by using a different approach for my purposes which ends being a little more complicated (therefore, this request), but I think returning a true random point could help other colleagues as well when working with a large dataset.

Thanks,

Luis

--

Luis Eduardo Carrasco, Ph.D.