[postgis-users] postgres and postgis upgrade

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jul 4 13:43:47 PDT 2013

In theory it shouldn't matter, but as far as dumping goes we usually use the
pg_dump that came with the version of PostgreSQL we are dumping.
So in this case pg_dump for 8.3 to guarantee it dumps everything allowed to
be dumped in that version.

and then restore with the pg_restore that comes with newer version we are
restoring to.  In this case pg_restore packaged with 9.2.4

Note when using postgis_restore.pl  make sure the right pg_restore is first
found.

Not sure what platform you are on but FWIW this is how we do it under
windows:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiWinUpgrade

Under Linux/Unix it would be much the same except Perl is always available
so no need for perl install and instead of using

set   you use export , ${...} instead of %variable% I think. (You probably
also want to move the version of PG first in path if you have multiple
installation in your path)

Hope that helps,
Leo and Regina

  _____