[postgis-users] Debugging shp2pgsql inserts

Travis Kirstine traviskirstine at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 10:43:15 PDT 2013

I've been attempting to import a large shapefile into postgis and I keep
running into "ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored
until end of transaction block" when importing the data.

 Is there a easy method to determine which INSERT causes the transaction to
fail? It appears the only why is to catch the stdout as soon as psql errors

shp2pgsql -I -W LATIN1 -s 3857 mybigshp.shp mytbl > mysql.sql

psql -U user -o log.txt mydb < mysql.sql

Thanks