[postgis-users] Newbie having trouble with Multipolygon file and ST_Within

willemb willem at pcfish.ca
Tue Jun 25 10:44:44 PDT 2013

I have imported a multipolygon shape file into postgis 2.  When I look at the
table I see that only a few of the areas are showing a value in the geometry
column (geom).  When I run a spatial query using something like st_within
against another file it seems to only work on the those rows that have a
geom.  I can't figure out how to populate the missing geometries.  What I
don't understand is that if I use Manifold or QGIS to view the file from
postgis all of the areas are present even though the geometries are not
present for the vast majority of records.  Is there a hidden column?
Clearly there is something I'm not understanding about Multipolygon files.