[postgis-users] st_band with out-db raster data

Dilley, Andrew-P57500 Andrew.Dilley at gdc4s.com
Fri Nov 1 09:22:37 PDT 2013

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

andy

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Mateusz Loskot
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 11:40 AM
To: PostGIS Users Discussion
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] st_band with out-db raster data

On 1 November 2013 15:10, Dilley, Andrew-P57500 <Andrew.Dilley at gdc4s.com> wrote:
> From that thread,
>
> "We need to do away with the entire in-db and out-db notion and just return the pixel values."
>
> I guess this is what I mean.  Should st_band be doing this?

I understand this is not easy to follow the thread and the comments posted to the #2217 ticket. However, the conclusion you can draw from those discussions is that the raster WKB format as well as the default behaviour of basic API does not change - PostGIS raster keeps to return server path

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/2217#comment:23
"""
The WKB format is currently defined (version 0) is unable to properly handle out-db raster bands for clients.
"""

Hence, there is related ticket that adds extra parameter to override default behaviour of the APIs

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/2222

I'm not a heavy user of out-db rasters, but I *perhaps* there are other APIs like ST_Band, that should be updated according as ST_Binary has been changed as result of the #2222 ticket.

Anyway, I'm just trying to explain you the current situation, but I'll leave the decisions about API changes to Pierre and Bborie.

> (I'm admittedly very new to postgis so maybe this a stupid question).

IMO, no question is stupid.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net _______________________________________________