[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Mon Nov 18 10:06:12 PST 2013

Rémi,

> About license :
> if you use GPL function, your code becomes GPL, this might be a problem if
> using it inside company.
> If you use LGPL, you can do basically what you want.

I think about going like Mateusz and Stephen suggested. What do you think?

> Using PostGIS everyday, I already find it hard to find the functions I need. I
> feel there is no point to provide additionnal functions if you have to know
> them to use them.

Every function is preceded with a description of the parameters and a self-contained and a typical example. The question is: Should this documentation be: 1) embedded in the .sql file 2) in the readme 3) in the wiki? for now I thought that embedding it in the file, beside the code, with a quick list at the beginning like the one in the PostGIS doc, was the most simple way.

> Say I'm developping and I need a function, how would I know you have a
> function I might use, by searching trough all the functions name?

You look in the quick list at the beginning.

> I understand your maintenance concern, yet it could be mandatory to
> document new function in markdown or in wiki when someone contribute,
> thus eanbling a google search.

It could be. I tried to put as less barrier as possible to new contributors.

> About test : Your idea being more for users than regular developpers, how
> to ensure quality.

There is a .sql test file to be executed manually. Please give it a try.

> I may be totally wrong, but I fear it will become like many open source
> graveyard of non-maintained poorly written functions (I include myself in
> people whose code have to be reviewed).

I engage to be the guardian of quality for a while.  Hopefully you're wrong and I suggest you be the first contributor... ;-)

For myself I had most of those functions written since a while and they were spread in many files. I had to clean them so they are easier to find and install for my users.

Pierre