[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Stephen Mather stephen at smathermather.com
Tue Nov 19 11:24:19 PST 2013

How could we avoid a license discussion... :) .  I think there are two
relevant points from the discussion:

1) It should be licensed such that it can go into core if such an option
for some or all functions reveals itself in the future

2) It should be flexible enough for wide reuse.

#1 precludes all licenses not GPL compatible.  #2 precludes the GPL.

IMHO, It's fine (actually wonderful) that postgis is in the GPL, it
protects the project and does not really limit its use in any substantive
way.  It's big enough to stand on its own.  But re: #2 GPL would limit the
wide use of these scripts.

If all the above is true, then what are the options?  MIT and CC-0?  I
don't know, but someone on this list does... .

Best,
Steve