[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Tue Nov 19 11:42:14 PST 2013

> IMHO, It's fine (actually wonderful) that postgis is in the GPL, it protects the
> project and does not really limit its use in any substantive way.  It's big
> enough to stand on its own.  But re: #2 GPL would limit the wide use of
> these scripts.

How would GPL limit the wide use of these scripts? I find it's ok that any derivative be licensed the same way. It doesn't force a using software to be completely under GPL, just the derivative scripts of those scripts. It seems to me that the fact that PL/pgSQL is open by nature makes it very easy to redistribute these files or any derivative with the same license without limiting the rest of the software to be under any other kind of license. Does that make sense?

Pierre