[postgis-users] Saving a split polygon

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 03:09:20 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure If I followed your question, but in my experience with QGIS
editing Postgres\postgis spatial tables, I add some smal hickups, but never
with splitting.

If its a normal polygon and you wish to split it with a line, QGIS will
assign to all your new polygons a nextval('yourtable_gid_seq'::regclass),
and this should solve the PK's problem.

If it's a multipart polygon that you want to spit it's parts, you can use
the multipartsplit plugin, and it will also take care of your primary keys.

Maybe it's a problem with your table, please send the creation SQL command
and maybe someone can have a clue of what is happening.