[postgis-users] Definition of St_Distance in case of 2 non point geometries

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Oct 18 06:39:01 PDT 2013

If I understand you right your assumption is true.

What makes you wondering?

In 2d you will always get the distance to a vertexpoint in at least one of the two geometries.

You can use ST_ShortestLine to see between what points the distance is calculated.

So:

SELECT ST_Distance('LINESTRING(1 1, 1 10)'::geometry, 'LINESTRING(2 5, 10 5)'::geometry);
 returns 1
and
SELECT ST_AsText(ST_ShortestLine('LINESTRING(1 1, 1 10)'::geometry, 'LINESTRING(2 5, 10 5)'::geometry));
returns 'LINESTRING(1 5, 2 5)'::geometry

geography type calculations is of course another story.

HTH

Nicklas

I took it for granted, that ST_Distance between two two dimensional