[postgis-users] Point cloud questions (PC NEWBIE here)

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Oct 18 14:13:13 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Juat watched Paul Ramseys video on point cloud storage and it made me think of a few questions to ask.

Quesitions:

*          Sort of a DB processing question, probably not thought about yet, but can the pointcloud be colorized based on a raster/vector of view passed in?  As in aerial photos obviously, but less obvious would be for oblique photos.

*          Generalizing of the pointclouds, from my perspective to be used for zoom in/out processes for visualization.  Could a average height based on a (pyramid) tiling possibly be used to get close to a generalizing scheme, I know this approach might offend purists as far as data integrity . .

*          There was a question in the video that I watched related to building a surface grid from the pointcloud, I wonder about a simple tile averaging as a method for generating a grid.  Anyone tried and have available some benchmarks for this idea?

Thanks

Bobb