[postgis-users] Point cloud questions (PC NEWBIE here)

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Oct 21 05:03:33 PDT 2013

Bob,
I've had a fair amount of success directly generating rasters from the z
values  from LAS files of 3.3 billion points each using GRASS7 complied
with liblas and the r.in.lidar,
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/r.in.lidar.html command.

As Remi mentioned, it can be quite memory intensive,
http://www.ncgisconference.com/2013/documents/pdfs/Newcomb_Fri_1030.pdf .
Point counts and Range calculations are fairly cheap, but skewness analysis
can take a LOT of memory.  For the 3.3 billion point data sets on partial
coverage of a 753 million cell raster and limiting the amount of map in
memory that was processed at one time to 15%, it still took 20GB of RAM  to
process for a skewness analysis.  The extent of the raster created was much
larger than the area covered by points, so that probably made some
difference.  Only processing an area for which there are points might cut
down on the memory requirements somewhat.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.