[postgis-users] Question about SDE on top of Postgres . . .

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sun Oct 27 14:20:25 PDT 2013

Wow, that page really goes out of its way to make sure you don't want
to use PostGIS! All those notes and caveats in the PostGIS boxes!

"Beginning with ArcGIS 10.1, all databases used with ArcGIS must be
64-bit" WHAT?!?!? Client apps, by and large, don't give a damn about
what platform the database is running on. PgSQL in particular speaks
client/server in a protocol that doesn't care. The only thing about
PgSQL that would *have* to match the architecture of ArcGIS is the
client library (libpq.dll) and ESRI will have built and bundled that
into ArcGIS themselves using the proper architecture. So, ignore all
the items that say you can't do Windows because there's no 64 bit
build available: it'll work fine.

P.