[postgis-users] Unable to pass the configure step on HP-UX 11.23

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Sep 13 06:33:23 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 03:09:17PM +0200, VEYSSIERE Nicolas wrote:

> Today I have opened a ticket for geos on HP-UX 11.23 ia64 (http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/664).
>
> I have submitted this patch, because I want to build Postgis on the same platform.
>
> But as a someone before me (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2011-February/028847.html) I am unable to pass the configure step on the test for the initGEOS function.
>

> ./configure

[..]

> checking for initGEOS in -lgeos_c... no

[..]

> When I search to find the problem, it failed to build the conftest program that test the initGEOS function :
>
> gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lgeos_c -L/usr/local/lib
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "geos::geom::GeometryFactory::createPoint(geos::geom::CoordinateSequence*) const" in file /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.a[libgeos_c_la-geos_ts_c.o]

It looks like the linker is failing to recognize that libgeos_c.so requires
libgeos.so, which is the one containing the actual symbols.

> The problem is that these functions seems to be there :
>
> nm -C /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.a | grep "geos::geom::GeometryFactory::createPoint"
>          U geos::geom::GeometryFactory::createPoint(geos::geom::CoordinateSequence*) const
>          U geos::geom::GeometryFactory::createPoint(geos::geom::Coordinate const&) const
>          U geos::geom::GeometryFactory::createPoint() const

It's in the static library, but not in the dynamic one.
Can it be a bug in the way geos was built ?
Did "make check" for geos work fine ?
Does any other libgeos user application work fine ?

--strk;