[postgis-users] tile size

Duncan Golicher dgolicher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 14:32:44 PDT 2013

Out of interest I  quickly checked whether the conclusions still hold for
PostGIS2.2.
The changes made in ST_Clip, and some other functions including st_value
seem to have altered not just the absolute timing (much faster) but also
the relative timing of operations as a function of  tile size.
Point on raster overlays are now slower when tile size is small (<50
pixels), whereas previously there was an almost linear increase with tile
size. Bborie may be able to explain why this change has occurred. I will
try to add an update to the weblog at some point in order to clarify the
sitation. It is GOOD NEWS as apparently there is now a single optimum tile
size for both polygon and point overlays and this does seem to lie at
around 200 - 300 pixels using the same example as the weblog, although I
have not run enough tests to confirm this. I'll try to find time to confirm
this.

Duncan

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Pierre Racine <Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
> wrote:

> You can also have a look at this article from Duncan Golicher if you are
> doing raster/vector analysis:
>

> http://duncanjg.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/tile-size-for-raster-vector-overlays-in-postgis/

Dr Duncan Golicher
Investigador Titular,
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur, Chiapas,Mexico
Mexico tel +52 1 967 137 94 20
Skype name duncangolicher

Publications: http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/duncan-golicher

Senior lecturer, Bournemouth University, UK
Centre for Conservation Ecology & Environmental Change
School of Applied Sciences
Christchurch House rm C218a
Bournemouth University
Fern Barrow
Poole (Dorset) BH12 5BB UK
Tel. +44 (0)1202 961682

For list of publications see Researcher ID:
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-4240-2009

dgolicher at bournemouth.ac.uk
dgoliche at ecosur.mx

Researcher ID: