[postgis-users] tile size

Duncan Golicher dgolicher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 22:16:22 PDT 2013

Hi Bborie,

OK, I might well have been thinking on old lines. So I tested again against
the R extract function with the same data (this time on my slow laptop)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2703650/SpeedTestPointOverlay.html

You are quite right! With a tile size of 200 to 300 or so PostGIS now does
beat the extract function in the raster package (although still slower with
suboptimal tile sizes). This was certainly not the case when I tested a
year ago (when all runs were several orders of magnitude slower unless tile
size was  very small, in which case load time was prohibitive). ST_VALUE is
now performing very differently (postgis2.2dev  compiled from source). More
good news!

Duncan

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Bborie Park <dustymugs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that the point on raster overlay can be beaten easily for speed by
>> the extract function in the R raster package. However the polygon overlays
>> are now very fast and compare well with any alternative way of getting the
>> result. Using PLR to run  R functions within PostGIS is great if you want
>> medians, quartiles etc or any other derived property.
>>

> I wonder what is going on to make the point on raster overlay in PostGIS
> slower than in R. I'd have expected the numbers to be about the same as
> that operation is conceptually very simple.
>
> -bborie

Dr Duncan Golicher
Investigador Titular,
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur, Chiapas,Mexico
Mexico tel +52 1 967 137 94 20
Skype name duncangolicher

Publications: http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/duncan-golicher

Senior lecturer, Bournemouth University, UK
Centre for Conservation Ecology & Environmental Change
School of Applied Sciences
Christchurch House rm C218a
Bournemouth University
Fern Barrow
Poole (Dorset) BH12 5BB UK
Tel. +44 (0)1202 961682

For list of publications see Researcher ID:
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-4240-2009

dgolicher at bournemouth.ac.uk
dgoliche at ecosur.mx

Researcher ID: