[postgis-users] TIGER geocoder

Andre Mano andre.s.mano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:21:32 PDT 2014

Hi users,

I am a bit lost on the necessary steps in order to use the TIGER geocoding
tool. This is what I have done so far:

# Enable geocoding capabilities

CREATE EXTENSION fuzzystrmatch;

CREATE EXTENSION postgis_tiger_geocoder;

# Test Geocoding capabilities

SELECT na.address, na.streetname,na.streettypeabbrev, na.zip
FROM normalize_address('1 Devonshire Place, Boston, MA 02109') AS na;

(Returns, as expected: 1;"Devonshire";"Pl";"02109")

But now I don't know exactly what I have to do. I have read the
documentation, but still I am not very secure of what I should do. Does
anyone here with experience with the TIGER geocoder can give me a hint?

(PostgresSQL 9.3, PostGIS 2.1, Win7 Enterprise 64bits)

Thank you,

Andre

André Mano
http://opussig.blogspot.com/