[postgis-users] Accessing NWS poly data with lat/lon input

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Fri Aug 8 08:24:22 PDT 2014

Joseph,
I don't see a geometry or geography field in your table listing.

Doug

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello, I've just got postgresql93-server installed, with
> postgis21-postgresql93 on a CentOS system.
>
> I then used shp2pgsql to load in some shape files using this procedure:
>

> http://suite.opengeo.org/docs/latest/dataadmin/pgGettingStarted/shp2pgsql.html
>
> The shapefiles were obtained from NWS:
> http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/catalog/wsom/html/pubzone.htm
>
> Everything appears to have been written to the database properly:
>
> polydata=# select state,time_zone,zone,name,lon,lat from polys where
> state='CO' limit 10;
>  state | time_zone | zone |               name               |
> lon       |      lat
>
> -------+-----------+------+----------------------------------+----------------+---------------
>  CO    | M         | 048  | Logan County                     |
> -103.110114271 | 40.7246902558
>  CO    | M         | 044  | Morgan County                    |
> -103.809823690 | 40.2627093692
>  CO    | M         | 050  | Sedgwick County                  |
> -102.351810279 | 40.8758426210
>  CO    | M         | 049  | Washington County                |
> -103.201287262 | 39.9710250432
>  CO    | M         | 090  | Yuma County                      |
> -102.424258955 | 40.0029195574
>  CO    | M         | 099  | Springfield Vicinity/Baca County |
> -102.560453567 | 37.3192132374
>  CO    | M         | 097  | Las Animas Vicinity/Bent County  |
> -103.071690129 | 37.9551177349
>  CO    | M         | 092  | Cheyenne County                  |
> -102.603398004 | 38.8279341557
>  CO    | M         | 089  | Crowley County                   |
> -103.784878922 | 38.3266440954
>  CO    | M         | 091  | Kit Carson County                |
> -102.602884309 | 39.3054124576
> (10 rows)
>
> polydata=#
>
> My goal is to construct a query providing lat/lon such that the result
> returned is the single row poly containing that point.
>
> Does anyone know how I would construct this query?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Joseph Spenner

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.