[postgis-users] Upgrade postgres 9.0 -> 9.3 mantaining postgis1.5?

Sorbara, Giorgio (CIOK) Giorgio.Sorbara at fao.org
Fri Feb 14 02:49:13 PST 2014

Dear all,

I am about to upgrade postgres from 9.0 to 9.3 but the gis team would like to maintain postgis 1.5 version.
>From what I have browsed around it seems that as of the 9.2 version only 2.0 is supported.
Can you confirm this?

If that is correct I need to upgrade 1.5 -> 2.0 before upgrading the server, so far so good.
Then comes another question... the only way to upgrade is to dump and reimport databases.
Now it happens that we have tables with geometries which count roughly 10000 records, but in the same database we have tables with billions records (which I would like not to dump)

Is it possible for the sake of upgrading postgis, to just dump tables with geometries, putting aside tables with no reference to postgis whatsoever?

thank you,