[postgis-users] Upgrade postgres 9.0 -> 9.3 mantaining postgis1.5?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 18 02:41:00 PST 2014

Giorgio,

For 9.2 you can install 1.5.6+ (though we frown on people using 1.5 with
9.2) . 9.3+ supports only 2.1+

Refer to the Support Matrix for details

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS

Regarding if you can dump table with geometries, putting aside tables with
no reference to postgis whatsoever -- yes you can.

1) In theory you could just do a pg_upgrade (you might have to drop your
postgis tables and uninstall postgis first) -> 9.3

Then install PostGIS 2.1 on your new server and reload your postgis tables

or

2) backup your postgis tables, uninstall PostGIS 1.5, install PostGIS 2.1,
reload your PostGIS tables --> then pg_upgrade over to 9.3

Hope that helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us
http://postgis.net