[postgis-users] PostGIS user interface

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Feb 25 20:35:52 PST 2014

Hi Robert,

Postgis is not a complete GIS tool such as you describe. It is an add-on to the Postgresql relational database to support the management of spatial data - a (very powerful) spatially enabled database. (it is also often used to describe a Postgres database with Postgis installed - so could mean both the addon toolset & the finished database - which can get confusing, especially when it is not actually a complete GIS system)

This could very easily manage the sorts of information you describe, in a database, but it has no map display capabilities. I recommend the combination of Postgis as the data management tool, coupled with QGIS as the desktop mapping (GIS) tool to allow you to "see" the Postgis data on a map, and click on it to view the linked attribute data. You can also use other tools to provide web based access via web services to the Postgis database - pretty much whatever you might want to do with spatial data can be done with some combination of open source tools like these.

Cheers,

 Brent Wood