[postgis-users] Handling new coordinates and checking intersections

Nikola nikola1010 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 04:53:09 PST 2014

Hi all,

we have case where we get large number of WGS84 coordinates in database
real fast.

We would like to put geofence (polygons) that we are monitoring and if
coordinate enters polygon system should generate some kinda of alarm.

Idea was to have algo in realtime as much as possible:

1. Trigger on INSERT
2. If coordinate ST_Intersect with polygons in DB create alarm in another
table.

Is this strategy good or checking intersection will kill db.

What is strategy in general for checking if some coordinates are in
specific polygons in realtime?

Thanks for help.

N.

--