[postgis-users] PostGIS non functional on Ubuntu 14.04

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:10:22 PDT 2014

Hi Mike, thank you for tips.

In fact I have several "old" .so files installed:

$ locate libgeos_c.so
/usr/lib/libgeos_c.so
/usr/lib/libgeos_c.so.1
/usr/lib/libgeos_c.so.1.8.2
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1.7.1
/usr/local/src/geos-3.3.1/capi/.libs/libgeos_c.so
/usr/local/src/geos-3.3.1/capi/.libs/libgeos_c.so.1
/usr/local/src/geos-3.3.1/capi/.libs/libgeos_c.so.1.7.1
/usr/local/src/geos-3.3.1/capi/.libs/libgeos_c.so.1.7.1T
/usr/share/gvSIG-desktop-2.0.0/gvSIG/extensiones/org.gvsig.raster.tilecache.app/install/files/native/libgeos_c.so.1
/usr/share/gvSIG-desktop-2.0.0/native/libgeos_c.so.1

The problem is that running dpkg only libgeos-3.4.2 shows up:

$ dpkg -l | grep libgeos
ii  libgeos-3.4.2
3.4.2-4ubuntu1                                      amd64
Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library
ii  libgeos-c1
3.4.2-4ubuntu1                                      amd64
Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C Library
ii  libgeos-dev
3.4.2-4ubuntu1                                      amd64
Geometry engine for GIS - Development files

Meaning that these old .so must be removed manually. In my experience
this always leads to other problems down the road. Any hints on how to
safely remove these old files is welcome.

Another thing: why were these files left in the system, if the
corresponding package is no longer installed? Is this a problem with
the Ubuntu upgrade procedure? Or an issue with the package itself?

Thank you,

Luís