[postgis-users] raster support

John Payne jcpayne at uw.edu
Sun Jun 1 07:25:28 PDT 2014

I want to store raster data in PostGIS.  I am using Postgresql 9.2.4 with
PostGIS 9.1.0 on a Mac Powerbook running OS X 10.8.5.  I want to use
the command "raster2pgsql" but I get an error message saying that the type
"raster" was not recognized.

I think the problem may be (from Chapter 2.1 of the PostGIS manual):

"As of PostGIS 2.1.3, out-of-db rasters and all raster drivers are disabled
by default. In order to re-enable these, you need to set the following
environment variables:POSTGIS_GDAL_ENABLED_DRIVERS and
POSTGIS_ENABLE_OUTDB_RASTERS in the server environment"

I tried adding the following to the end of my postgresql.conf file:
POSTGIS_GDAL_ENABLED_DRIVERS=ENABLE_ALL
POSTGIS_ENABLE_OUTDB_RASTERS=1
However, it generated an error message saying that the variables weren't
recognized.  Can anyone tell me how to set them?

Thanks,

John