[postgis-users] Urgent help needed, messed up my postgis 2.1 server by installing latest QGIS pacake

Morten Sickel morten at sickel.net
Tue Mar 18 13:03:53 PDT 2014

Did you accidentally upgrade postgis or postgres to a new minor version?
An apt-get autoremove (after having done a apt-get remove qgis) will only
remove dependencies that qgis have pulled in, I do not think it will
rollback anything to an older version - so I don't think that will help,
although it should not do any harm either.

As long as the database files still do exist, it should be possible to get
back to a working system using a few apt-gets and/or dpkg commands. So
just in case, shut down the postgres server and do a backup of
/var/lib/postgresql/9.3/data (or if you have put the database files
somewhere else you shoud know where they are) (use tar or some other
utility that gets the file ownerships and permissions right)

Do you have access to any other virtual or real machine? then you can
install postgres / postgis on that, stop postgres and just copy over the
database files.

Morten