[postgis-users] Restoring a dump

Jayson Gallardo jaysontrades at gmail.com
Mon May 19 07:39:20 PDT 2014

Hey, all. So, we recently re-did our server. We were previously running
Ubuntu, and now we are running Debian. I had performed a pg_dumpall on our
Postgres database (with PostGIS) and would now like to restore said dump.
However, I want to make sure I do it right.

Since I dumped everything, will I need to create all the databases before
restoring the dump?

I should probably install the Postgis plug-in first, right?

My dump is pretty big at 101 GB (it contains 3m resolution DEMs of Iowa).
Is there anything I need to do in order to minimize errors in the restore?

Thanks in advance.