[postgis-users] polygons to linestrings

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat May 24 16:04:26 PDT 2014

Two really interesting and educational examples! Thank you both very much.
I learned a lot from both. Nicolas's is obviously a simpler. It produces a
few more linestrings than Rémi's because Rémi's connects more segments
together. But both accomplish what I want to do. Rémi's example is a very
elegant and complete example - thank you for taking the time. I like the
way you dynamically created test data and also snapping is a good idea that
I would have overlooked.

@Roxanne, thanks for your interest in my problem, sorry that I didn't
explain better. When you draw polygon layers with dashed or dotted line
styles they can look very bad because lines from adjacent polygons are
drawn over top of each other and the symbols (dots, dashes, etc.) do not
align. So I just want all the unique linestrings so that they will only be
drawn once. I want linestrings, not just individual segments, for
cartographic appearance and for performance. And since it's just for
cartography, I don't care about attributes, line direction, or topology.

Again, thank you very much. Your answers both solved my immediate problem
and taught me a lot.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com