[postgis-users] 'Z' Difference between DEM file & PG DEM layer

Stephen Mather stephen at smathermather.com
Mon May 26 20:36:41 PDT 2014

Remember the phrase "lies, d*mn lies, and statistics"? It applies here...
.  Most statistics for images are sampled, meaning the value of every pixel
will not be read. In other words, you can't ordinarily trust the stats to
tell you whether the data have changed on import.

I believe gdalinfo will report the true min and max for an image with
"-mm", e.g.:

gdalinfo -mm image.asc

Hope this helps!
Best,