[postgis-users] Topology: cannot delete slivers (or gaps)

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:26:29 PST 2014

This is suprising indeed.
Im my test using the v.out.postgis was still way faster than constructing
with postgis topology (about x3 I think).

Are you using v.out.postgis -l, with grass 7?

Grass is a topology that is more node centered, opposite to postgis
topology which is more edge centered.
It is possible to output a node centered topology with grass as text (*v.info
<http://v.info> -t*),
but I found it unpractical to try to convert this into a propoer postgis
topology with pure SQL.
Now I think I should have used a python way from within grass (grass offers
full binding, so it should be doable to loop trough grass internal topology
and convert it to postgis topology)

I tried to reach grass dev several time to try to improve the postgis
export, I had no answer.

My intuition is that the slowness comes from the fact that grass tries to
write  edge by edge , and each time the edge_data trigger are triggered.
The correct way would be to compute full topology structure, then
deactivate trigger, then fill table , then reactivate trigger.

Cheers,
Rémi-C