[postgis-users] PostGIS supported by which ArcGIS

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 08:28:00 PDT 2014

I assume that on the server side, your dba has 'Esrified' the database by
using a one of the ArcGIS desktop tools to convert your existing Postgres
database into an 'ESRI Enterprise Geodatabase", which creates the sde
schema and all of the sde functions, etc.  This costs an ArcGIS Server
license.

We are doing this for our primary production spatial database.  One thing
that we are doing is using the PG_GEOMETRY option to specify the PostGIS
spatial datatype instead of ESRI's ST_GEOMETRY datatype.  This allows us to
use all of the PostGIS functionality on features created with ESRI tools.
All of my backend processes are written in Python/SQL/PgPSQL without any
ESRI tools.

I would be very surprised if you can edit geometries in PostGIS using the
ArcGIS tools without using the SDE functionality and licensing.  (I would
love it if you can prove me wrong.)  Note that the SDE functionality is now
built into all of ESRI's products, and the SDE server software will be
depricated after 10.2.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Birgit Laggner <birgit.laggner at ti.bund.de>
wrote:

> We use ArcGIS 10.2 for read/write interaction with our PostgreSQL
> database. We only have ArcGIS Desktop without SDE. There is a driver
> (database client file) from ArcGIS for PostgreSQL, you have to install. We
> are more or less content with this concept. Surely, the performance is not
> as if you would be working directly on the PostgreSQL database, but still,
> it isn't necessary to always export and import into and from shapefile.
> That's a huge plus in my opinion.
>
> Here is a link to a documentation site of ArcGIS regarding the
> requirements for the interoperability with PostgreSQL:
>
> http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.2/index.html#//
> 015100000075000000
>
> Regards,
>
> Birgit.
>

> Am 27.09.2014 20:28, schrieb Stefan Keller:
>
>  Actually yes, I meant the "PostGIS option" of storing data in
>> PostgreSQL/PostGIS from ArcGIS.
>>
>> --S.

>>> as far as I understand it (and I could be wrong on some of this)
>>>
>>> Desktop will support reading if you load the postgresql library files
>>> (that
>>> can be downloaded form your ESRI customer care portal).
>>> Once those are loaded you can read through a definition query data from
>>> postgis into arcgis. I just made a map using arcgis and reading data from
>>> postgis.
>>> It doesn't support write unless you have SDE for Postgresql - which isn't
>>> postgis. That dives into the world of ArcGIS Server....
>>>

>>> ArcGIS supposedly is moving to being able to read/write the geopackage
>>> format which to me opens read/write to PostGIS. BUT if they open read
>>> write
>>> for postgis that starts a slow death of SDE....so I don't believe it ever